Friday, March 10, 2006

My friend the Groom

Dressed in His wedding suit He stood, I was right beside Him, Waiting with Him. I looked at my watch. She was late. He looked back to me with eyes full of sadness and disappointment. I didn't know what to say or what to tell Him. I knew that nothing could ever ease the pain that goes through His heart. Its been so long and He has been waiting eagerly for his bride. I am not His first friend, Others stood in my place for a long time till they had to leave. Sometimes I got angry at her for not showing up, but He, He never got angry of her. Though jealous He was but He never quit waiting for her. His breath was heavy and sad. He kept looking back at me with eyes full of words but no word He said. He then looked back at the door waiting for it to open at any moment for His bride to enter. I looked around, some guests have fallen asleep, some have left and some has kept on making fun of Him. I looked back to Him with eyes full of compassion and questions and He looked to me right through my eyes and then I started to see. I saw His bride deep within His eyes, She wasn't dressed in wedding clothes but she was dressed like a whore dancing before the eyes of others, bouncing from one man's hug to another's. Laughing and singing with a cup of strong drink in her hand. Stumbling from one hall to another, from one room to another, from a street to an alley. Into darkness she went, and into sorrow He was buried. He closed His eyes squeezing tears out of His eyes and out of mine tears ran down my face. He whispered: " Bring her back to Me", I nodded. For such greater love I will, for a broken heart of a worthy Groom, a dear friend and Lord I will. I walked towards the door, pushed it open with both hands and went through the dark, With a song, a song He wrote for her. Singing as I went. Hoping that she would recognize the words and that the tune may soften her drunken heart. The is nothing more precious in existence that a loving heart and nothing is more hurting than a broken one.

No comments:

Writings and Artwork Posted here are Copyright © 2005-2006, Kareem Makram