Thursday, March 2, 2006

Pearl of Arabia

I stood on the shores of the great white sea, looking at the horizon where the sky meets the sea, where the blue meets deeper blue. Winds blew at my face carrying the ends of my Arabian turban backwards as they wave like flags of fame and fortune trapping the eyes of the beholder to where I stand. I wish I could trap the eyes of just one, the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen as I sailed through the seas and journeyed across the Arabian deserts. One pair of brown eyes trapped the heart of an Arabian merchant. I would pay gold loads of a thousand camels for another chance to see her eyes, I would give a thousand boxes full of rare black pearls just for one step closer to her. I have gone across the great deserts, sailed along the endless waters, climbed the heights of mountains and past across the valleys. I have dragged my camels and horses for miles and miles, walked and ran and crawled for days and for endless nights I camped under those diamond stars in search for the most precious being ever seen on earth. Grooms from all around the world sail and travel to see her, to present the good of their lands and the wealth of their heir seeking her as a wife praying for her approval, even begging for it but she haven't accepted anyone yet. I untied the scarf around my neck, I held it in my hands and smelled it, Ah that scent of her, I thought. I remember the night she gave it to me with a smile. She knew I will be back and here I am getting close to her palace, her high tower where she sleeps. I passed all the other grooms who were in her garden camping waiting helplessly for her approval. I walked by as they stared at me. I have no fear nor doubt inbetween my courageous heart-beats. With eyes full of desire, with a heart full of fire I pushed her door open, her servants and maids tried to stop me but they were full of fear, they bowed down to me for they knew that I had the authority. I commanded my slaves to stand back at the door as I preceded up the stairs towards her room, that treasure box where she hides, that secret place where she disappears. I stood before the door, then slowly pushed it wide open revealing my presence to her. She slowly turned around with eyes wide open like a cup of mixed drink she was surprised and amazed at the same moment, she was shocked and thrilled. She was speechless. Her maid tried to apologize that she couldn't stop me from breaking the silence of her loneliness but she dismissed her leaving the both of us together again, like the first time we met. It was for a second of time, but this time its forever. I walked across her room straight towards her with eyes like an eagle. Her eyes were like a confused deer trying to jump away but in vain. I streched my hand to her she hesitated then she lowered her head and looked to the ground as she extended her hand to me. I bowed and kissed her hand gently, she could feel my warm desert lips touch her soft skin, she took a deep breath with an excited yet controlled smile she looked up to me, I smiled back then I pulled her up to stand and she did though her knees were too weak to stand. I gently grabbed her by the waist and slowly pulled her near to me, she closed her eyes. I closed mine.. All I felt was the touch of her soft lips touching mine then time stopped at this moment forever and all the world saw that and wondered for it has never seen such love.

No comments:

Writings and Artwork Posted here are Copyright © 2005-2006, Kareem Makram